Highlights of Ste Jeanne d'Arc 1910 - 2010

List of 11 items.

  • 1910 Establishment of Ste Jeanne d’Arc School

    A school is established in Pawtucketville to serve the needs of the Franco-Americans in this area of the city.  Two sisters, in residence at St. Joseph’s Convent, staff the newly built two-classroom school on Fourth Avenue.
  • 1921 Purchase of Moody Street School

    Parish buys old public school from the city to accommodate increasing enrollment.
  • 1922 Establishment of Ste Jeanne d’Arc Parish

    Cardinal O’Connell creates a French-speaking parish under the patronage of Ste Jeanne d’Arc.  The new church is housed in the school building on Fourth Avenue which serves as school, hall and church until a permanent church is built.
  • 1936 Arrival of Marist Brothers to teach at the school

    Marist Brothers teach the older boys from 1936-1946.
  • 1952 Construction of new school on Dracut Street

    Bishop Louis Collignon, OMI, of Haiti, presides at the dedication of the new elementary school on September 28.
  • 1960 Construction of new convent for the sisters

    The sisters move into a new convent built on the site of the old Moody Street School.
  • 1989 Renovation of convent building

    Convent building is renovated to house kindergarten classes, Development Office space, parish Religious Education Office, and Extended Day Program center. The sisters are relocated to the upper floor of the convent where new living quarters are created for them.
  • 2004 Suppression of Ste Jeanne d’Arc Parish by the Archdiocese of Boston

    Archbishop Seán O’Malley closes Ste Jeanne d’Arc Parish.  Ste Jeanne d'Arc School begins its association with St. Rita Parish.
  • 2010 SJA Becomes an Independent Catholic School and Earns Blue Ribbon Recognition

    On November 16, 2010 Cardinal Seán O’Malley approves the new independent governance structure for the school.  A Board of Trustees is named and the school is incorporated in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a separate entity.  The school retains its spiritual and social relationship with St. Rita Parish. Coincidentally, on the same date, the school receives from the U.S. Department of Education the 2010 Blue Ribbon Award for superior academic achievement.
  • 2013 Ste Jeanne d'Arc School Recognized as a "Bright Spots" School

    Ste Jeanne d'Arc School received recognition from the Catholic Schools Foundation and Archdiocese of Boston as a “Bright Spots” school. The Catholic Schools Foundation identifies a Bright Spot school as a school that is excelling academically and offers unique or special programs that make them “bright spots” on the curve of excellence. Ste Jeanne d'Arc School was one of only four schools in the Archdiocese of Boston to be named a Bright Spots school and the only school in Lowell. As a Bright Spots School, Ste Jeanne d'Arc School has been awarded a grant which will provide significant financial aid resources intended to attract new students and families who would like to send their child to a Catholic school but, without financial assistance would be unable to afford it. Additionally, once a family qualifies for financial aid through this grant and receives an award that amount is guaranteed throughout the child’s enrollment at Ste Jeanne d'Arc School.  
  • 2013 Honored as a National Beta School of Distinction

    Ste Jeanne d’Arc School was named a 2013 National Beta School of Distinction by the National Beta Club. This award is given in recognition of the school’s commitment to academic rigor and dedication to preparing students for college and career readiness. The National Beta Club is committed to recognizing and promoting high academic achievement, rewarding and nurturing worthy character, improving student leadership skills and encouraging service to others. The students at Ste Jeanne d’Arc School certainly exemplify and embody these qualities. This recognition comes on the heels of being named a “Bright Spots” School by the Catholic Schools Foundation and the Archdiocese of Boston. 

Ste Jeanne d’Arc School

68 Dracut Street, Lowell, MA 01854  |  Phone 978.453.4114 Fax 978.454.8304

A CATHOLIC INDEPENDENT SCHOOL

Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges